WIOX is an FCC licensed full power Class A radio station assigned to Roxbury NY at 91.3 FM. The station began broadcasting on August 27, 2010.
WIOX broadcasts daily 24 hours day. Programming is live, with the exception of overnight music from 1am to 6am and includes more than 60 unique shows that are produced by a staff of more than 80 community volunteers. The signal is sent from the studios at the former Masonic Lodge on Bridge Street in Roxbury to the FM transmitter at the Town Highway Department garage, the local cable television operator in Margaretville, and an Internet streaming service using fiber and the Comrex BRIC system. Listeners can also hear the station on their iPhone, iPod or iPad by downloading the WIOX App available for free at the iTunes Store.
Remote broadcasts have covered breaking news (e.g., flood emergencies) and public events (e.g.,
community concerts). WIOX has also provided network feeds and simulcasts to remote locations—
regionally (e.g., MTC television channel 10) and nationally (e.g., National Public Radio). Studios and transmitter locations are both outfitted with back-‐up electric generators.
Transmission facilities include a Harris ZX3500 HD/IBOC-‐compatible stereo transmitter and a three-‐
bay non-‐directional antenna. Production facilities include:
• A computer-‐assisted live studio (Studio A) designed for multiple hosts/guests (with RE20 microphones), multiple audio playback (digital and analog), and multiple sources and distribution points (to receive and send the signal)
• An analog-‐to-‐digital soundstage and mix/broadcast studio (Studio B) designed for live performance, a live audience, live recording, and a master music library.
• A multi-‐track Pro-‐Tools sound design studio (Production) designed for voice recording (with a Neumann U87), audio processing and mastering (AIFF, .wav, mp3, m4a, AAC, etc.,) production and program archiving, and live webcasting (streaming)
• Apple iMac and PC-‐based workstations that accommodate program logs (traffic), Emergency Alert System (EAS) logs, transmitter remote control, website design and maintenance, and other operational functions.
• A portable remote studio (Comrex Access) for live, on-‐location broadcasting
The start-‐up of WIOX was made possible by contributions from local residents, underwriting support from local businesses and organizations (including the Greater Roxbury Learning Initiative Corp., The MARK Project and The Roxbury Arts Group), and grants from the O’Conner Foundation. and the Appalachia Regional Commission. Sustaining support is expected from these and other sources.
Future plans for WIOX include providing learning workshops, internships, and related ancillary services; and extending the station’s FM coverage, increasing digital reach to mobile devices.
How to Contact Us:
Studio phone 607-326-3913 (this is a direct line to the "on air host")
WIOX Community Radio 91.3 FM
2335 County Highway 41
Roxbury NY 12474
PO Box 100
Roxbury NY 12474